Can't open the project, "The project type is not supported by this installation." WebUI cannot be opened

May 11, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Hi there-

Looks like a great project but I can't get it to load. Getting this error:

D:\Downloads\awesome live demo\awesome live demo\WebUI\WebUI.csproj : error  : The project file 'D:\Downloads\awesome live demo\awesome live demo\WebUI\WebUI.csproj' cannot be opened.
The project type is not supported by this installation.

Any ideas?

Thanks

May 11, 2011 at 11:44 AM

are you using VS2010 ?

May 11, 2011 at 11:48 AM

also if you have VS2010 you might also need to install this: http://www.asp.net/mvc/mvc3 

May 12, 2011 at 6:41 AM
Edited May 12, 2011 at 6:44 AM

Do you have IIS installed? I have noticed this release does not use the Asp.net development webserver. If you don't have IIS installed, you cannot open this project. Workaround is to rightclick on the WebUI project, edit webui.csproj and in the projectextensions section, change  <UseIIS>True</UseIIS> to  <UseIIS>False</UseIIS>

You can reload the project by rightclicking on it, but you might have to reload the entire solution, because VS2010 can get confused ;)

May 13, 2011 at 8:47 AM

on VS dev server everything works really slow so it makes my app look not so cool :)

but, I've added now the vs dev server version of the live demo

May 13, 2011 at 1:55 PM

Hi. Good to hear. The VS-dev server is a bit slower on my machine as well, but it still rocks. New users can try your project using the vs dev server, without having to create a virtual directory in IIS. I think it is a huge plus if you can compile and run an opensource project without having to setup anything. 

May 18, 2011 at 8:39 AM

On my machine the VS dev server is running really fast now. It had to do with IPv6 and DNS, to fix it I changed the c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file to contain: 127.0.0.1 localhost. The line is commented by default on Win7.